[U-Boot] Individual files dual licenses

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Jan 18 18:11:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 06:09:22PM +0000, York Sun wrote:

> >> For the dts files, they already exist in U-Boot. Can the team still say
> >> "importing" from Linux? The files in U-Boot is only a small subset of
> >> those in Linux.
> >
> > Yes, if it's a strict replace file A with contents of the same file from
> > Linux, it's re-importing.  I thought these boards had already re-synced
> > before but perhaps not?  It's something we do from time to time on other
> > platforms.
>
> In this case, the contents of dts files are different from those in
> Linux. The only thing imported this time is the dual license. Is it
> still considered a re-sync?

They should not be different at all.  Anything U-Boot centric should be
in an appropriately named -u-boot.dtsi file.  This facilitates keeping
the rest of the dts/dtsi files as exact copies of the ones in the
kernel.

To put it another way, what is the reason they differ from the kernel?
And could they be changed to not, and use a -u-boot.dtsi (or several) so
that they can be kept in-sync with the kernel?

--
Tom