[U-Boot] Individual files dual licenses

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Jan 18 19:17:31 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 06:14:07PM +0000, York Sun wrote:
> On 01/18/2018 10:11 AM, Tom Rini wrote:

> >> In this case, the contents of dts files are different from those in
> >> Linux. The only thing imported this time is the dual license. Is it
> >> still considered a re-sync?
> >
> > They should not be different at all.  Anything U-Boot centric should be
> > in an appropriately named -u-boot.dtsi file.  This facilitates keeping
> > the rest of the dts/dtsi files as exact copies of the ones in the
> > kernel.
> >
> > To put it another way, what is the reason they differ from the kernel?
> > And could they be changed to not, and use a -u-boot.dtsi (or several) so
> > that they can be kept in-sync with the kernel?
>
> The dts files in Linux are much much bigger. U-Boot only uses a small
> subset. There are many nodes not used by U-Boot.

For SPL where we care about size in that regard we have
CONFIG_OF_SPL_REMOVE_PROPS to trim things down as needed, and it
shouldn't be a concern for full U-Boot.

If your really want to maintain two distinct dts/dtsi files because
there's some value you see in that, I won't stop you from doing it.  But
I don't see a unique challenge posed by the NXP platforms just yet
either.  Thanks!

--
Tom