[U-Boot] U-Boot, cache speculation side channel attacks and ARM

Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi michael at amarulasolutions.com
Sat Jan 20 12:13:13 UTC 2018

Hi

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier at arm.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:45:08 +0100
> Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi <michael at amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marc
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier at arm.com> wrote:

>> > I've so far posted two revisions of a small patch series that deals
>> > with variant-2 on the affected 32bit Cortex-A cores. These patches are
>> > currently stashed on the branch[1] pointed at by the web page you
>> > mentioned.
>> >
>> > A prerequisite for Cortex-A8 and A15 is that ACTLR[0] (IBE) is set from
>> > secure mode. Cortex-A12/A17 do not need this.
>>
>> So IBE is not a pre-requisite for Cortex A9 family. Is this correct?
>
> Indeed. I'm not even sure A9 has that bit at all (ACTLR is
> implementation specific). BPIALL works on A9 without any other setting.
>
>> I have already back--ported those patches on kernel 3.4. Is those enough?
>
> Define enough. These patches allow these CPUs to cope with variant-2,
> and only variant-2. Variant-1 is still work in progress across all
> architectures, variant-3 (aka Meltdown) doesn't concern 32bit ARM
> implementations, and only A15 is susceptible to variant-3a.

Just talking on variant-2 . If I understand for the variant 1 people
are working on
compiler side. Problem is that sometime It's not possible to
re-compile userspace for the pre-build
userspace library provide by the vendor.

Michael

--
| Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
| COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |