[U-Boot] [RFC] SPDX License text updates

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Jan 22 17:06:07 UTC 2018

Hey all,

In another thread Felix Brack brought up that as of version 3.0 of SPDX,
there's a number of deprecated tags (see https://spdx.org/licenses/) and
that we're using at least one of them.

Specifically, "GPL-2.0+" should be "GPL-2.0-or-later".

Now, we have a few options here:
- Deprecated isn't removed.  SPDX specifically says the old links shall
  remain valid, etc, etc.  We could continue to use "GPL-2.0+", etc and
  not have to change (literally) 8000 files.  This will also keep us in
  line with what the Linux kernel currently does.  I also have no idea,
  nor have I looked to see if that's going to change.
- Allow both old and new.  Both are valid, the newer form allows for
  easier tooling and more precise management of options that I'm not
  sure apply to our use cases.
- Switch to the new tags.  A few hour I imagine of playing around with
  sed and then manual fixups and I can probably convert all the existing
  cases to the new syntax (we have some DTS files for example with
  (GPL-2.0+ OR MIT) which would become (GPL-2.0-or-later OR MIT).  But
  then we need some tooling to make checkpatch.pl at least noisy about
  unconverted and to get everyone into the habit of changing and so
  forth.

At this point in time I'm leaning towards the first, and as is often the
case, watching what the kernel does.  Thoughts / comments?  Thanks!

--
Tom