[U-Boot] UDP packet sender

Gaëtan Carlier gcembed at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:28:28 UTC 2018

Hi Joe,

On 01/22/2018 11:46 PM, Joe Hershberger wrote:
> Hi Gaëtan,
>
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 4:56 AM, Gaëtan Carlier <gcembed at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I would like to implement a new command and submit it to the mailing list.
>> The command will have the following format:
>> udpsend <destination/broadcast ip> <destination port> <source port> <text to send>
>>
>> udpsend 255.255.255.255 4040 0 hello world
>>
>> If source port is 0, a random port will be used (11000 + (get_timer(0) % 4096))
>
> I'd like to understand the purpose / use-case for this command? Maybe
> there is a more appropriate way to solve the problem you have instead.

I want to send the current progression of an update script. As the board has no display/leds, the only way to get update progression is to broadcast UDP packet that a PC software will monitor. U-Boot will load/source a script from an ext4 partition. This script will load a rootfs image from update partition of an eMMC splitted into 10M chunks that will be written to an other partition of the eMMC.
This is for update on site (by customer).

This UDP command will also be used in a closed production LAN to send Unique ID of the CPU (secret) and the MAC address to the monitoring production (burning) software that will feed a database to be able to generate license keys linked to hardware and print a label with the product name and the MAC address.

Maybe there is already existing command that I can use from a U-Boot script ?

>> Where do I have to place my code : cmd or net directory ?
>> For me cmd will be the better directory to keep it away from all more complex stuff like DHCP, TFTP, ...
>
> That's probably true. cmd/ would be the appropriate place.
>
> -Joe

Regards,
Gaëtan