[U-Boot] List of architectures no longer printed

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 23 20:00:46 UTC 2018

Dear Nathan,

In message <DM2PR0801MB074777B6D375AED982EB9FA1B3E30 at DM2PR0801MB0747.namprd08.prod.outlook.com> you wrote:

> "mkimage -A -h" no longer prints  architectures. Is there another way to get a list of architectures?

I confirm this is a regression.  Old versions of U-=Boot used to
print a helpful list of available options (for all "type" arguments,
include -A, -O, -T, and -C):

-> mkimage -V
mkimage version 2011.03
-> mkimage -A -h

Invalid CPU Type - valid names are: alpha, arm, x86, ia64, m68k, microblaze, mips, mips64, nios2, powerpc, ppc, s390, sh, sparc, sparc64, blackfin, avr32
Usage: mkimage -l image
          -l ==> list image header information
       mkimage [-x] -A arch -O os -T type -C comp -a addr -e ep -n name -d data_file[:data_file...] image
          -A ==> set architecture to 'arch'
          -O ==> set operating system to 'os'
          -T ==> set image type to 'type'
          -C ==> set compression type 'comp'
          -a ==> set load address to 'addr' (hex)
          -e ==> set entry point to 'ep' (hex)
          -n ==> set image name to 'name'
          -d ==> use image data from 'datafile'
          -x ==> set XIP (execute in place)
       mkimage [-D dtc_options] -f fit-image.its fit-image
       mkimage -V ==> print version information and exit

Now not only the list of available, supported options is missing,
instead when asking for "-A" the unrelated and useless message:

> Use -T to see a list of available image types

is printed.

This should really be fixed.

Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to  most
of us who are fortunate enough never to have been one - like watching
Charlie Chaplin trying to cook a shoe.