[U-Boot] SquashFS and FIT images

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 02:25:31 UTC 2018

Hi Mark,

On 26/01/2018 10:12, "Mathew McBride" <matt at bionicmessage.net> wrote:

On 26/01/2018 8:01 AM, Bishop, Mark (STRT) wrote:

> Is it possible to specify squashFS images in an .its file?  If so, anyone
> have an example or a pointer to the docs I've been searching for?
> Hi Mark,

It is possible, here is an example I have used on an NXP LS1043 board:
/dts-v1/;

As Matthew's example shows it's totally doable. Furthermore it's not just
squashfs it could be any valid initrd. As long as your kernel is configured
to expect it u-boot will pass it along.

On that note last time i looked most if the general kernel defconfigs
didn't have squashfs enabled.

/ {
        description = "ARM64 OpenWrt FIT (Flattened Image Tree)";
        #address-cells = <1>;

        images {
                kernel at 1 {
                        description = "ARM64 OpenWrt Linux-4.4";
                        data = /incbin/("arch/arm64/boot/Image.gz");
                        type = "kernel";
                        arch = "arm64";
                        os = "linux";
                        compression = "gzip";
                        load = <0x80080000>;
                        entry = <0x80080000>;
                };

                ramdisk at 1 {
                        description = "ARM64 OpenWrt ramdisk";
                        data = /incbin/("root.squashfs");
                        type = "ramdisk";
                        arch = "arm64";
                        os = "linux";
                        compression = "gzip";
                };

                fdt at 1 {
                        description = "ARM64 OpenWrt device tree blob";
                        data = /incbin/("arch/arm64/boot/dts/
freescale/fsl-ls1043a-rdb.dtb");
                        type = "flat_dt";
                        arch = "arm64";