[U-Boot] SPL dcache

Alex Kiernan alex.kiernan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 09:40:13 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Lokesh Vutla <lokeshvutla at ti.com> wrote:

> On Friday 16 March 2018 02:36 PM, Alex Kiernan wrote:
>> I was looking at the differences between the TI U-Boot tree and the
>> upstream tree (as we've switched from one to the other) and I think
>> the only patch which I'm picking locally which isn't in upstream is
>> this one:
>>
>>   [U-Boot,RFC,3/3] spl: Add support for enabling dcache
>>
>>   https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/699899/
>>
>> As far as I can tell the other two patches in the series were applied,
>> just not this one and I can't see what the changes that were requested
>> were.
>
> Since this is affecting all the available SoCs, we have to make sure
> that it does not break any existing platforms. Tom reported that it
> broke few platforms.

I wonder if some of those are the kind of breakage we saw - SPL
randomly hangs after SDRAM is configured. Our fix was a highly
(un-)scientific mdelay(5) at the bottom of sdram_init(), which had the
added benefit of fixing other random hangs we'd previously failed to
get to the bottom of.

>> When we first had that change it did cause us some problems, but only
>> because we needed some settle time once the DDR clocks were
>> configured.
>>
>> How do we get it back reconsidered for merging?
>>
> May be I should create a separate kconfig entry and guard all the code
> with it? So it can be enabled as necessary.

That'd work for me! Though I guess the fewer guards/options we have the better.

--
Alex Kiernan