[U-Boot] GCC 7.x vs. C++ comments

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 9 16:07:50 UTC 2018

Dear Tom,

In message <20180509154052.5E0B424000A at gemini.denx.de> I wrote:

> > - Don't like // style comments
> > - Visually inconsistent / jarring
>
> - Against existing coding style.

Also, the SPDX tag is rarely a separate comment line.  In most
cases, it is part of a larger file header, say for example:

common/main.c:

/*
 * (C) Copyright 2000
 * Wolfgang Denk, DENX Software Engineering, wd at denx.de.
 *
 * SPDX-License-Identifier:     GPL-2.0+
 */

Do you suggest to reformat this into something like:

/*
 * (C) Copyright 2000
 * Wolfgang Denk, DENX Software Engineering, wd at denx.de.
 */

// SPDX-License-Identifier:     GPL-2.0+

?

If yes, then please explain which sense this would make?  It is just
unnecessay work, and the result is inconsistent and ugly.

> > - Has tooling to enforce correctly formatted tags.

I forgot to ask which "tooling" you have in mind here?  I did not
see anything like that in the kernel source tree.  What am I
missing?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
This restaurant was advertising breakfast  any  time.  So  I  ordered
french toast in the renaissance.            - Steven Wright, comedian