[U-Boot] GCC 7.x vs. C++ comments

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed May 9 16:22:03 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 06:07:50PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> In message <20180509154052.5E0B424000A at gemini.denx.de> I wrote:
> >
> > > - Don't like // style comments
> > > - Visually inconsistent / jarring
> >
> > - Against existing coding style.
>
> Also, the SPDX tag is rarely a separate comment line.  In most
> cases, it is part of a larger file header, say for example:
>
> common/main.c:
>
> /*
>  * (C) Copyright 2000
>  * Wolfgang Denk, DENX Software Engineering, wd at denx.de.
>  *
>  * SPDX-License-Identifier:     GPL-2.0+
>  */
>

> Do you suggest to reformat this into something like:
>
> /*
>  * (C) Copyright 2000
>  * Wolfgang Denk, DENX Software Engineering, wd at denx.de.
>  */
>
> // SPDX-License-Identifier:     GPL-2.0+
>
> ?

I know it's going to annoy you more, but yes, that's already _done_:
$ head -n5 common/main.c
// SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+
/*
 * (C) Copyright 2000
 * Wolfgang Denk, DENX Software Engineering, wd at denx.de.
 */

It was about 97% automatic perl regex + sed insert and 3% "Ugh, this
file does not follow the normal conventional comment style at all".

> If yes, then please explain which sense this would make?  It is just
> unnecessay work, and the result is inconsistent and ugly.
>

> > > - Has tooling to enforce correctly formatted tags.
>
> I forgot to ask which "tooling" you have in mind here?  I did not
> see anything like that in the kernel source tree.  What am I
> missing?

This started because I updated checkpatch.pl and that in turn checks if
new files have an SPDX tag and if so, does it match the kernel style
formatting.  The first email:
https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2018-April/325510.html
that brought this up.  And yes, I run checkpatch.pl on everything before
every pull/push.

--
Tom