[U-Boot] boot progress for invalid ramdisk

Marcel Hellwig u-boot at cookiesoft.de
Mon May 14 11:48:39 UTC 2018

Hi there,

I'm using the show_boot_progress function to keep track of the boot
process and display errors during the boot on a display (which will be
controlled via UART).
This works fine for e.g. a bad CRC in the kernel, which will give me a
negative progress and I can check, that that is an error.
For the Ramdisk on the other hand, there is no show_boot_progress for an
invalid ramdisk (see [0]).

So, two questions.
1. There are many places which don't have a show_boot_progress but are a
"fail" branch. Can this be done so you can track every (possible) error?
2. Is there a way to "get notified" if the shell opens (e.g. call a
callback function), so I can check that (this is usally an error :) )?

Greetings,
Marcel

[0]:
https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/62d77cea31216cad526e5f45c88e8377efc6fcae/common/bootm.c#L233-L236