[U-Boot] U-Boot and The Boot Loader Specification

Alexander Dahl ada at thorsis.com
Wed Oct 17 12:04:00 UTC 2018

Hei hei,

while setting up U-Boot for a new board, I read doc/README.distro and tried to
follow it for making things smooth with standard distributions. The document
mentions the so called "Boot Loader Specification" [1] as follows:

> This is roughly
> as specified at:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/
>
> ... with the exceptions that the BootLoaderSpec document:

I played with the extlinux.conf format snippets from the U-Boot docs. Upstream
extlinux docs are not really helpful, especially not for options regarding dtb
files. And I tried a config based on the Boot Loader Spec:

	Scanning mmc 2:1...
	Found /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
	Retrieving file: /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
	366 bytes read in 268 ms (1000 Bytes/s)
	Ignoring unknown command: title
	Ignoring unknown command: version
	Ignoring unknown command: options
	Ignoring unknown command: linux
	Ignoring unknown command: devicetree

Am I right, U-Boot does not support that spec at all? Files are in different
positions, and the keywords are all different? If so, then the U-Boot
documentation is misleading (and people will be frustrated to follow the hints
given in there).

Are there any plans to support that specification or is anybody working on
that? If not, would a patch be okay to reword that part of the documentation?

Greets
Alex

[1] recent version here: https://systemd.io/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION