[U-Boot] [PULL] Please pull u-boot-imx

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Oct 23 14:52:11 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 04:42:53PM +0200, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On 23/10/18 16:29, Tom Rini wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 09:52:58AM +0200, Stefano Babic wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Tom,
> >>
> >> please pull from u-boot-imx (tag: u-boot-imx-20181023) thanks !
> >>
> >> The tree contains fixes for i.MX6 and improvement in docs, but the most
> >> important part is the introduction of the i.MX8 architecture (thanks to
> >> Peng and Antolji for their work !). Build on Travis reported no error,
> >> but I get a build issue with the VF610 boards - this will be require a
> >> fix in next days. i.MX8 can be built following exactly the instruction
> >> of the README file (NXP firmware requires to acknowledge the EULA).
> >
> > I know the i.MX8 stuff has been kicking around for a while so.. OK, yes,
> > I won't be too upset about pushing it so late in the cycle.  But, my
> > travis builds do see an error:
> > https://travis-ci.org/trini/u-boot/jobs/445069389#L1038 which is "Fail
> > open first container file ahab-container.img" for imx8qxp_mek and I also
> > see that locally.
>
> I know: to build i.MX8, we need to download external firmware. In fact,
> we have to provide the files according to board/freescale/mx8mq_evk/README.
>
> Near "imx-atf" (this is not a problem, loaded and built), we need two
> additional "closed" firmware, that is firmware-imx (currently, 7.6) and
> imx-sc-firmware. They can be downloaded but they underly the acknowledge
> of NXP's EULA. They are self extracting scripts and we could hack it to
> have an automatic build, but I *guess* this breaks the license. I do not
> know if we are allowed to do this, and both of these firmwares do not
> provide a way to "implicitely" skip the EULA as we do in OE by setting a
> variable in local.conf.
>
> >  This feels like the same class of error that we have
> > to deal with on other AArch64 platforms, namely of throwing a user
> > visible error that what they just built will not boot due to lack of
> > other files.
>
> I am unsure: mkimage packs all files together as part of the build, when
> they are available. User cannot even try to boot, because the build
> stops if these files are not available. The error at mkimage step is
> saying us that build is not complete due to missing files (atf,
> firmware-imx and imx-sc-firmware).

Yup, this is the same problem we have in other platforms.  Take a look
at board/sunxi/mksunxi_fit_atf.sh or tools/k3_fit_atf.sh for what we do
on some other platforms so that CI build completes but it's clear to the
end user that the binary will not work and what they need to do / read
to get a functional build.  There's also
arch/arm/mach-omap2/config_secure.mk as an example of all the fun we
have for building the secure TI platforms that more closely follow the
problem you have here, namely of needing EULA'd packages (and in those
cases, also NDA, iirc) installed to complete a functional build.  I
think you'll need to do something closer to the xxxx_fit_atf.sh scripts
in this case, to check for required blobs and if not found, not call
mkimage and echo something loud and visible to the user.

--
Tom