[U-Boot] [PULL] Please pull u-boot-imx

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue Oct 23 14:42:53 UTC 2018

Hi Tom,

On 23/10/18 16:29, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 09:52:58AM +0200, Stefano Babic wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> please pull from u-boot-imx (tag: u-boot-imx-20181023) thanks !
>>
>> The tree contains fixes for i.MX6 and improvement in docs, but the most
>> important part is the introduction of the i.MX8 architecture (thanks to
>> Peng and Antolji for their work !). Build on Travis reported no error,
>> but I get a build issue with the VF610 boards - this will be require a
>> fix in next days. i.MX8 can be built following exactly the instruction
>> of the README file (NXP firmware requires to acknowledge the EULA).
>
> I know the i.MX8 stuff has been kicking around for a while so.. OK, yes,
> I won't be too upset about pushing it so late in the cycle.  But, my
> travis builds do see an error:
> https://travis-ci.org/trini/u-boot/jobs/445069389#L1038 which is "Fail
> open first container file ahab-container.img" for imx8qxp_mek and I also
> see that locally.

I know: to build i.MX8, we need to download external firmware. In fact,
we have to provide the files according to board/freescale/mx8mq_evk/README.

Near "imx-atf" (this is not a problem, loaded and built), we need two
additional "closed" firmware, that is firmware-imx (currently, 7.6) and
imx-sc-firmware. They can be downloaded but they underly the acknowledge
of NXP's EULA. They are self extracting scripts and we could hack it to
have an automatic build, but I *guess* this breaks the license. I do not
know if we are allowed to do this, and both of these firmwares do not
provide a way to "implicitely" skip the EULA as we do in OE by setting a
variable in local.conf.

>  This feels like the same class of error that we have
> to deal with on other AArch64 platforms, namely of throwing a user
> visible error that what they just built will not boot due to lack of
> other files.

I am unsure: mkimage packs all files together as part of the build, when
they are available. User cannot even try to boot, because the build
stops if these files are not available. The error at mkimage step is
saying us that build is not complete due to missing files (atf,
firmware-imx and imx-sc-firmware).

> Also:
> $ ./tools/genboardscfg.py -o /dev/null
> WARNING: no status info for 'warp7_bl33'
> WARNING: no maintainers for 'warp7_bl33'

I have not seen, thanks, this must be fixed.

> which I would have just fixed-up, but since we need to address that
> imx8qxp_mek problem, please update the appropriate MAINTAINERS file too
> for warp7_bl33.  Thanks!

Regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de