want to confirm that include/configs/xilinx_zynqmp*.h files seem unused

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Dec 13 16:02:24 CET 2019

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, Michal Simek wrote:

> On 13. 12. 19 15:05, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   been a while since i wandered through the innards of u-boot so it's
> > possible this is a silly question.
> >
> >   was just placed on a project that involves a xilinx zynqmp-based
> > board, and need to upgrade the version of u-boot that's currently
> > being used. as part of my perusal, i did a quick grep to see what
> > existing boards were doing with any zynqmp-related header files, so i
> > did this from the top of the current tree:
> >
> > $ grep -r "include.*xilinx_zynqmp.*\.h" *
> > include/configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini.h:#include <configs/xilinx_zynqmp.h>
> > include/configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini_emmc.h:#include <configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini.h>
> > include/configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini_qspi.h:#include <configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini.h>
> > include/configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini_nand.h:#include <configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini.h>
> > $
> >
> >   i'm aware of the ongoing migration of content from
> > include/configs/*.h files to defconfig files, so the above seems to
> > suggest, given the circular inclusion of those header files with no
> > one else including them, that those files are no longer referenced.
> >
> >   my guess is that all that content was migrated to defconfigs but the
> > header files were simply left there. is that a fair conclusion, or
> > might there be something far more subtle i'm overlooking here?
>
> Nope.

> All of them are used as configuration for
> configs/xilinx_zynqmp_mini* configurations.

  ah, i think i see what i overlooked (like i said, it's been a while
since i poked around here). i wasn't sure how those header files could
be included if their actual names were not found in the source, until
i looked at (for example) xilinx_zynqmp_mini_qspi_defconfig, where i
saw the line:

  CONFIG_SYS_CONFIG_NAME="xilinx_zynqmp_mini_qspi"

which i now assume is used as part of the build to identify the header
file to be included, is that correct?

  oh, and there it is in arch/arm/mach-zynqmp/Kconfig:

  config SYS_CONFIG_NAME
        string "Board configuration name"
        default "xilinx_zynqmp"
        help
          This option contains information about board configuration name.
          Based on this option include/configs/<CONFIG_SYS_CONFIG_NAME>.h header
          will be used for board configuration.

rday

                         http://crashcourse.ca