[U-Boot] imx8mq-evk: Outbound network packets lost

Chris Spencer spencercw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:49:01 UTC 2019

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 16:10, Sergey Kubushyn <ksi at koi8.net> wrote:
> > Turns out there's already a patch to add the driver as part of the
> > i.MX8MM patch series. [1] Go figure.
>
> What the fcuk is i.MX8MM? Are they going to do anything with their i.MX8MQ
> documentation? It is currently at Rev.0 dated January 8, 2018. In its
> present state it is not even a joke -- it is way worse than that. It is
> missing lots of info while including hundreds and hundreds of pages that has
> absolutely no relevance to i.MX8MQ like e.g. 120 pages long description of
> different interfaces to LCDIF that simply don't apply to what's in that
> chip. On the other hand there is _ABSOLUTELY_ nothing about e.g. USB PHYs in
> that, sorry for an expression, documentation. Nada, zero, zilch. Not a word
> about SIP. And it is all around their documentation. Hell, just try to find
> out what those 4 input clock sources are to their PWM that are selectable
> from a per-PWM configuration register...
>
> And their only reaction for e.g. missing USB PHY information was "We told
> design/documentation guys to include it in the future revisions" somewhen
> around August last year. There we no revisions for a whole year since the
> initial Rev.0 was released. Zero. Nada. Zilch. It is still that stinking
> pile of manure, Rev.0 on NXP site.

Looks like the i.MX8M Mini. The naming of the i.MX8 variants seems to
be almost deliberatly confusing.

I haven't had to do much with the documentation, but yeah it's kind of
inscrutable. Just finding anything is challenging.

> > I guess that everything else must just happen to be usable in the
> > default reset state.
>
> It won't work. Pins come up as GPIOs on powerup and something _MUST_
> reconfigure them for Ethernet. If there is no driver and they are not
> reconfigured in board files there will be no Ethernet.
>
> Same is true with USB. DTS files reference USB PHY that doesn't have a
> driver in U-Boot. DWC3 USB references driver that doesn't exist in U-Boot.
> There is no wonder nothing works.

Sorry, I meant stuff like the usdhc (i.e., the bare minimum that needs
to work to boot into Linux). Something must do at least some
initialisation here to load U-Boot in the first place. I'm guessing
the Ethernet doesn't work for anyone using this chip at the moment on
the upstream U-Boot.

Chris