[U-Boot] In which direction should we aim so our work is going the same way as uboot?

Gervais, Francois FGervais at distech-controls.com
Mon Feb 4 14:38:25 UTC 2019

Hi,

We are starting a new project based on the am335x_evm platform.
This is an aging platform so I'm thinking the way this port is in uboot now
might not be where uboot is aiming for the future. As we will rework
quite a few things, I'd like to get a few pointer to get things going in
the right direction.

First, I see that they are doing a lot of board specific logic in a
board.c/am335x_evm.h file. Coming from the kernel it looks to
me like legacy stuff. Is this the case in u-boot as well?

They have some random defines in there like V_OSCK, CONFIG_MACH_TYPE,
CONFIG_ENV_SIZE, is there a better place to put these than in am335x_evm.h?

Also let say I need to read some value in eeprom to know my board
flavor and load the correct kernel fdt, should this be done in a board.c
file still or is there a better place now?

Thank you