[U-Boot] [RFC] ARM: omap3_logic_somlv: Enable OF_CONTROL in SPL

Adam Ford aford173 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 03:40:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM Adam Ford <aford173 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 2:33 PM Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

> > > Is there an easy way to debug memory utilization?  We're not quite
> > > getting to the point of loading u-boot.img since it cannot find the
> > > MMC driver.
> > >
> > > Interestingly enough, when I rebased my quasi-working image with the
> > > master, it died.  I can still build DM_SPL without SPL_OF_CONTROL but
> > > now even with Falcon disabled, any attempts to build with
> > > SPL_OF_CONTROL fail.
> > > I even tried using OF_PLATDATA hoping it might reduce the memory footprint.
> > >
> > > I'm going to go back to 2019.01 and run some tests, but any pointers
> > > on how to debug memory allocation might be helpful.
> >
> > When I've had to do this before I've written them out, picked values
> > that must fit the hardware and rest of the situation and confirmed or
> > denied my hypothesis.
>
> I've tried to make the memory maps for logic pd boards (including
> AM3517-evm) use the TI defaults as much as I can.  Interestingly
> enough, when I enable DM in SPL without SPL_OF_CONTROL breaks booting
> the AM3517 even when I manually add the platform data, and it doesn't
> have Falcon mode enabled, so I wonder if there is something off a bit
> in the omap3 initialization and/or memory usage.
>
> When I pulled in the latest from origin/master, the part that I had
> working with SPL_OF_CONTROL on the omap3_logic board stopped working.

Tom,

Do you know if your beagle patch still works when based on the current
origin/master? Is so, would you be willing to push your
omap3-u-boot.dtsi file?  I was able to get some limited functionality
by disabling features with 2019.01, but when I use the same
configuration, origin/master fails.  I wonder if it's related to the
size thread regarding the SPL size when dtb is added.

I also submitted a question about omap3 memory mapping, and I was
curious to know if you had any feedback.  I am trying to remap the
omap3_logic board to squeeze as much space for SPL.

adam