[U-Boot] [BUG] booting on the Tinker Board (tinker-rk3288_defconfig) is broken

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Feb 13 20:19:35 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 09:13:31PM +0100, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:

> On 2/13/19 2:24 PM, Tom Rini wrote:

> >> This is the error message I currently get for U-Boot 2019.04 when
> >> building for the Tinker Board:
> >>
> >> mkdir -p foo/usr/lib/u-boot/tinker/
> >> denx/tools/mkimage -n rk3288 -T rksd -d denx/spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.bin \
> >>   foo/usr/lib/u-boot/tinker/u-boot.img
> >> Warning: SPL image is too large (size 0x8800) and will not boot
> >> Error: image verification failed
> >> cat denx/u-boot-dtb.bin >> foo/usr/lib/u-boot/tinker/u-boot.img
> >> cp sd_fusing.sh foo/usr/lib/u-boot/tinker/
> >>
> >> @Tom
> >> Shouldn't the mkimage step be included in Travis CI testing?
> >
> > No, mkimage fails for almost every aarch64 target as we don't include
> > ATF or the other blobs required to make things bootable.
> > BOARD_SIZE_CHECK is where we can confirm that the U-Boot binary isn't
> > too large.
> >

> Hello Tom,
>
> BOARD_SIZE_CHECK seems to be about the U-Boot image not about SPL. I

I was possibly being slightly too literal, sorry.  We need to adapt and
use the "check the resulting final binary is OK size-wise" logic to be
available and used everywhere.  Given that we're now at I think 3 or 4
different SoCs running into this same exact problem, we really do need
to.

> guess we need to copy this line to rk3288_common.h:
>
> include/configs/rk3188_common.h:31:
> #define CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE          (0x8000 - 0x800)
>
> But when I insert this line I get no linker error but the size of
> denx/spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.bin is still too big.
>
> Shouldn't count the DTB size be accounted for when doing the
> CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE check?
>
> CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE      30720 bytes
> spl/u-boot-spl-nodtb.bin 28932 bytes
> spl/u-boot-spl.dtb        4096 bytes
> spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.bin   32986 bytes

SPL_MAX_SIZE is a linker check and as such will not catch post-linking
things, is the problem.  We should however make it not be a linker check
and instead leverage it with the logic behind BOARD_SIZE_CHECK, thanks!

--
Tom