[U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Fri Feb 22 17:14:42 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:48 AM Marcel Ziswiler
<marcel.ziswiler at toradex.com> wrote:

> Hi Fabio
>
> On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 19:32 +0100, Stefano Babic wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > On 19/02/19 19:24, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I'm seeing that I need to switch my IMX6 board support
> > > (board/gateworks/gw_ventana) over to DM_USB and DM_MMC right away
> > > (v2019.04) and I notice enabling those fails building as it looks
> > > like
> > > these DM drivers expect OF_CONTROL (U-Boot running from a
> > > device-tree).
> > > Is that currently true or am I perhaps missing
> > > something?
> >
> > You are completely correct : moving to DM requires to set a DT for
> > the
> > board.
>
> I don't think that is fully true. There is also the option of using
> platform data. At least for certain parts of DM that is certainly
> working (e.g. have a look at colibri_pxa270).

Marcel,

Good point, and IMX boards have used this already as for DM_SERIAL.
However I don't see this possible yet for IMX (fsl_esdhc.c) DM_MMC...
one would need to export a platdata struct to
include/dm/platform_data. I'll have to look into that... I'm sure
there are many other IMX boards out there that also need to get this
done and perhaps are not ready to go to OF_CONTROL yet. I did take a
quick stab at converting my board(s) to OF_CONTROL using
SPL_MULTI_DTB_FIT and while I'm still not booting the SPL is way too
large to fit within an IMX6DL cache.

Thanks,

Tim