[U-Boot] SDCRARD boot on Intel Arria10 SOCDK

Marcel Gielen [Celestia-STS] M.Gielen at celestia-sts.com
Wed Feb 27 10:19:57 UTC 2019

We are trying to setup the Arria10 SOCDK  (DK-SOC-10AS066S-A)  to boot form SDCARD in RAW mode.  We are under the impression this
has never been used before.

Kconfig sets SYS_MMCSD_RAW_MODE_U_BOOT_SECTOR to 0x200 for ARCH_SOCFPGA, which is correct for the Cyclone-V, but not anymore for Arria-10.
The SPL image size handled in the A10 bootROM is increased from 64KiB to 256KiB, which would result in an offset 0x800.

The boot process, however ends up in an MMC timeout when trying to boot  ( v2019.01  ). Didn't peform any further checks yet, but it looks like card is not responding
after this  stage.  The board boots with an Intel branched u-boot, we like to avoid this branch and stick to mainline.

Default arria10 config:
Trying to boot from MMC1
spl: could not find mmc device 0. error: -19
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices

With CONFIG_MMC_DW enabled:
Trying to boot from MMC1
spl: partition error

CONFIG_SYS_MMCSD_RAW_MODE_U_BOOT_SECTOR:
mmc_load_image_raw_sector: mmc block read error

CONFIG_SYS_MMCSD_RAW_MODE_U_BOOT_SECTOR=0x800:
mmc_load_image_raw_sector: mmc block read error

CONFIG_SD_BOOT:
mmc_load_image_raw_sector: mmc block read error

Any suggestion how to setup RAW mode for A10 ?  (with a C5 we have no issues using the same options)
A10 does not requires SPL, but using SPL would allow more options in the u-boot image.
What is the preferred bootmode to use for A10 ( No SPL, SPL with RAW mode, SPL with u-boot on FAT partition (We prefer to avoid FAT), SPL with u-boot on ext partition )

Regards,
   Marcej