[U-Boot] [REGRESSION: PATCH 34/34] drivers/net/fec: phy_init: remove redundant logic

Hannes Schmelzer hannes at schmelzer.or.at
Wed Mar 27 13:21:10 UTC 2019

On 3/26/19 1:08 PM, Marcel Ziswiler wrote:
> Hi Hannes
Hi Marcel,
thanks for helping me working on this.

> On Tue, 2019-03-26 at 12:57 +0100, Hannes Schmelzer wrote:
>> Hi marcel,
>>
>> Okay. Behaviour is now clear to me.
>> You don't have a phy node within your dts
> We never ever had any such anywhere but it still used to work just fine
> so far.
Before that you didn't operate the FEC with DM i think,
so there was no description at all.

>> nor you have MXC_PHY_ADDR set in your board header.
> I actually once even tried setting that without success but maybe I did
> it wrong.
Sorry, the correct name of the #define is 'CONFIG_FEC_MXC_PHYADDR'.
Prior converting your board to DM you had here:
#define CONFIG_FEC_MXC_PHYADDR 0

>> The implicit fallback mechanism for searching the whole mdio bus for
>> st least one phy has been gone with my patch.
> OK, maybe I just missed noticing such behavioural change having been
> advertised anywhere.
There was no explicit notice, it did happen ;-)
I didn't expect that there is somebody who neither defines a phy-adress
within dts nor board-header.

>> Could you try describing your phy within dts to get sure that iam
>> right here.
> Sure, let me try that.
Did you have success in this?

>> Later on we have to discuss if the 'fallback' should be re
>> implemented.
> Yeah, I assume such behavioural change breaks other boards as well.
Mhm,
you're right - i will provide a patch to the mailinglist for catching this.
But in general, a precise description of the hardware would be the
better way.

cheers,
Hannes