[U-Boot] MULTI_DTB_FIT_GZIP

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Tue Nov 19 17:39:27 UTC 2019

Greetings,

I'm working on converting IMX6 based Gateworks Ventana board support
to DM which requires me to put many dtb's (36 currently!) into a FIT
image. The size of the FIT image has grown to 2MiB more than 2x the
size of u-boot-notdtb.bin so I want to use compression.

It appears that MULTI_DTB_FIT_GZIP compresses the entire FIT image. In
my case fit-dtb.blob is 1.4MiB and fit-dtb.blob.gz compresses to
289KiB which is good. There's no way I'll be able to use
SPL_MULTI_DTB_FIT with all those dtbs while supporting imx6s/dl with
only 128K of SRAM so I'm using the U-Boot flavor of MULTI DTB
(SPL_LOAD_FIT and MULTI_DTB_FIT).

I'm not clear exactly how to take advantage of fit-dtb.blob.gz as
u-boot.img has the uncompressed fit image. I'm currently flashing
u-boot-dtb.img to my board and its processing the FIT and booting
properly but u-boot-dtb.img does not have a compressed FIT.

Is there some support missing for using MULTI_DTB_FIT_GZIP/LZO with a
fit image in U-Boot vs the SPL?

Best regards,

Tim