[U-Boot] MULTI_DTB_FIT_GZIP

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Wed Nov 20 01:08:19 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 12:32 PM Simon Goldschmidt
<simon.k.r.goldschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 19.11.2019 um 18:39 schrieb Tim Harvey:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm working on converting IMX6 based Gateworks Ventana board support
> > to DM which requires me to put many dtb's (36 currently!) into a FIT
> > image. The size of the FIT image has grown to 2MiB more than 2x the
> > size of u-boot-notdtb.bin so I want to use compression.
>
> Have you thought about using DT overlays? Maybe that could also bring
> the binary size down?

Simon,

That's an interesting idea and something that I definitely will need
in the near future for an IMX8 product family we are working on that
will marry a SOM module with a baseboard in which case I will want to
use overlays for each.

I could use that now by wrapping the imx6dl.dtsi and imx6q.dtsi into
overlays as those are likely the bulk of my dts's. Is there any
overlay support currently? What are the boards that are using SOM
modules doing? What are boards such as beaglebone doing with the 'hat'
modules?

Ultimately I do want to see the compressed fit image working as that's
likely going to just improve the situation regardless of how many
dtb's you have.

Thanks,

Tim