reset command doesn't work on MT7628 (CPU: MediaTek MT7628A ver:1 eco:2)

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Aug 12 14:57:31 CEST 2020

Hi Andrew,

On 12.08.20 14:48, Andrii Voloshyn wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> ---- On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 15:08:41 +0300 Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote ----
>
>   > Hi Andrew,
>   >
>   > On 12.08.20 14:04, Andrii Voloshyn wrote:
>   > > Hi Stefan,
>   > >
>   > >   > Hi Andrew,
>   > >   >
>   > >   > (added Weijie to Cc)
>   > >   >
>   > >   > On 12.08.20 09:18, Andrii Voloshyn wrote:
>   > >   > >    Hi there,
>   > >   > >
>   > >   > >    There is one issue, I experience with (U-Boot 2020.07) on MT7628DAN, "reset" command issued in hush prompt
>   > >   > >    causes board to hang, until I do a power cycle. On the other hand there is no such issue on mt7688 board.
>   > >   >
>   > >   > Do you see no further output? Or is it perhaps stuck at the DDR init
>   > >   > code in SPL? Can you please post the log (complete boot log with reset
>   > >   > command)?
>   > >
>   > > There is only "resetting..." printed, once the reset command is executed.
>   >
>   > I see. Thanks.
>   >
>   > >  By the way, I am not using SPL loader.
>   >
>   > Why not? Did you give the version with SPL a try? Here most of the
>   > lowlevel init stuff is executed. Something might be missing in the
>   > general HW setup if its not used.
>
>     Then I will need to flash two binaries, spl + uboot, right?

Not really. The 2 images are generated automatically and combined into
one image (u-boot-with-spl.bin) that needs to be flashed instead. The
main pro of this SPL + U-Boot proper is that the resulting image is
*much* smaller (because of the compression of the U-Boot proper) and
therefore, booting is usually faster as well compared to the "old"
non-SPL only image.

In my case its ~250kByte (combined image) compared to ~600kByte.

> In any case SPL is optional, at least it should be. :) on this hw.

Yes, correct. But frankly, I have not tested without SPL for a few
months now. Mainly because of the reasons I mentioned above.

>   >
>   > How are you running the non-SPL (main) U-Boot on your board? Do you
>   > load it via an old U-Boot? Or is it configured for SPI flash usage
>   > without SPL instead?
>
> I am running the way it was done prior to recent SPL changes.
> SPI NOR flash  is mapped to 0x9c000000 address, and that's what the text base address is set to when SPL is disabled:
> arch/mips/mach-mtmips/Konfig

Okay. So you are flashing a non-SPL only image into SPI NOR and you are
not loading it via some other bootloader. That is what I wanted to make
sure of.

> config SYS_TEXT_BASE
>> ---default 0x9c000000 if !SPL
>> ---default 0x80200000 if SPL
>
> Also, I'd like to note that all other functionality in the u-boot works fine, booting of FIT images, other commands I use,
> the only problem is with the reset command.
>
> When I trigger reset manually (writing to RSTCTL register), I get the same behavior:
> mw 0x10000034 0x1

I see. Again, I have no real clue, sorry.

Thanks,
Stefan