binman build questions

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Mon Aug 17 11:54:30 CEST 2020

Hi Simon,

studying the binman integration, some questions/issues popped up:

# Timestamp file to make sure that binman always runs
.binman_stamp: FORCE
	@touch $@

A reason is not provided, neither here nor in the commit log. Is it
because external blobs may have changed? I suppose the binman step is
always reproducible, right?

Furthermore, files generated by binman are not properly cleaned. I have now

fit at 0x280000.fit
fit at 0x280000.itb

in my build folder after make clean, also that .binman_stamp. The target
images are only cleaned when they happen to carry a well-known name -
that relates to [1].

I would suggest to give all intermediate files the same prefix, say
".binman_", so that they can be added to the clean rule. Makes sense?
But [1] still needs some idea.

Jan

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot@lists.denx.de/msg380648.html