GRUB Multiboot specification equivalent implementation from U-Boot - reserved memory regions

Johannes Krottmayer krjdev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:15:11 CEST 2020

Hi,

I have a special question about reserved memory regions one some
architectures. For the first time only for ARM and ARM64.

Is there a equivalent or similar mechanism in U-Boot to tell the
Kernel, which memory regions are free available for the Kernel? On
x86 with GRUB as boot loader, I can use the Multiboot specification.
Does the device trees handle this? Unfortunately I haven't found
any hint in the DTS at this time.

Started to write my own Kernel for the purpose of learning and
want to port it to ARM. I also want to use U-Boot (for basic
initialization) as loader for the Kernel, hence the question.

Thanks in advance!

Off-topic:

Can U-Boot also boot ELF files from a FIT image? Tried it with
"standalone" and "kernel", but didn't work for me.

Johannes K.