Mainlining advice for new (MStar/SigmaStar) ARMv7 SoC family

Daniel Palmer daniel at 0x0f.com
Tue Jun 16 17:44:08 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I'm attempting to get initial support for MStar/Sigmastar's family of
ARMv7 chips into Linux
and I thought I should probably at least attempt to mainling the
u-boot support while I'm at it.

I did some googling and couldn't find a "how to mainline a new SoC"
guide for u-boot so if
possible could I get some advice on how I should go about this.

Right now I have a very janky tree that can either piggy back the
vendor's second stage
bootloader (bootloader after bootrom) or on some of the chips produce
an SPL that can
run straight after the bootrom exits.

I need to chop it up into acceptable parts but I'm not sure how that would look.
For Linux I'm attempting to get in a small patch set[0] that adds the
initial device tree prefixes
and then adds just enough machine specific bits to get to a shell from
an initramfs.

For u-boot would enough to load a kernel very slowly via loady be a good target?
As the platform is device tree based do I need to wait until my
prefixes get accepted to even start?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 - https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/20200616121525.1409790-1-daniel@0x0f.com/