[RFC 0/4] drivers: footprint reduction proposal

Walter Lozano walter.lozano at collabora.com
Mon Jun 22 16:12:40 CEST 2020

Hi Tom,

On 19/6/20 18:48, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 06:11:36PM -0300, Walter Lozano wrote:
>
>> Based on several reports and discussions it is clear that U-Boot's
>> footprint is always a concern, and any kind of reduction is an
>> improvement.
>>
>> This series is a proposal to  help reducing the footprint by parsing
>> information provided in DT and drivers in different ways and adding
>> additional intelligence to dtoc. The current version implements the basic
>> functionality in dtoc but this is no fully integrated, however it will allow
>> us to discuss this approach.
>>
>> Firstly, based on the compatible strings found in drivers, include only DT nodes
>> which are supported by any driver present in U-Boot.
>>
>> Secondly, generate struct udevice_id entries only for nodes present in DT,
>> which will allow to avoid including additional data.
>>
>> These are the first steps for further improvements as proposed in the specific
>> patches in this series.
>>
>> This work is based on the work of Simon Glass present in [1] which adds
>> support to dtoc for parsing compatible strings.
>>
>> [1] https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-dm/-/tree/dtoc-working
> I applied this series on top of the above tree, but there's no rule for
> <generated/compatible.h> so is something missing?  Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to check this RFC.

As you pointed, the Makefile needs to be tweaked in order to be able to
run a build, that is what I meant by "not fully integrated", also some
additional stuff are missing. However, I thought that sending this RFC
explaining the idea will be nice in order to confirm if the approaches
proposed make sense for the community and at least the one to handle
compatible strings is different from the linker list suggestion.

Regards,

Walter