ZynqMP boot: no messages from SPL other than "Debug uart enabled"

Michal Simek michal.simek at xilinx.com
Thu Mar 12 11:32:22 CET 2020

Hi,

On 12. 03. 20 10:12, Major A wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
>> the issue is likely related to incorrect DDR configuration.
>> BSS and Malloc space are in DDR. >
>> rev1.1 has different DDR sodimm module then rev1.0.
>
> Thanks, this never occurred to me as Xilinx says to use rev1.0 software
> for rev1.1 boards, so that's what I did.

First of all I sent v2 because of dt changes to see 1.1 revision and I
have also tested it on real HW.

Yes normally it works like that newer board revision works with previous
versions. But 1.1 is different case.

>> I have generated psu init from vivado 2019.2 for 1.1 revision and send
>> it to mailing list. I didn't test it on hw but please test it and let me
>> know.
>
> I had already done that in the past (feed Vivado 2019.2 psu file into
> u-boot), with no success.  Unfortunately, your patch doesn't help
> either, the behaviour is still exactly the same as before.
>
>> Build it like this.
>> export DEVICE_TREE="zynqmp-zcu102-rev1.1"
>> make xilinx_zynqmp_virt_defconfig
>> make -j
>
> For some reason, that's no enough: I have to manually set
> CONFIG_DEVICE_TREE because xilinx_zynqmp_virt_defconfig sets it wrong.
> In any case, behaviour is exactly the same as before.

With latest my queue it should be enough.
https://github.com/michalsimek/u-boot/tree/mainline-v20200312

But I think that latest mainline should setup default in ITS properly.
You can check it by looking at u-boot.its when build is done and find
default configuration option which should point to 1.1 dt.

Here are jtag steps I have run.

Thanks,
Michal

connect
targets -set -filter {name =~ "PSU"}

set status [mrd -force -value 0xFFCA0038]
set status [expr $status | 0x1C0]
mwr -force 0xFFCA0038 $status

targets -set -filter {name =~ "MicroBlaze PMU"}
dow pmu.elf
con

targets -set -filter {name =~ "PSU"}
mwr 0xffff0000 0x14000000
mask_write 0xFD1A0104 0x501 0x0

after 1000

targets -set -filter {name =~ "Cortex-A53 #0"}
stop
dow -data u-boot-spl-dtb.bin  0xfffc0000
memmap -file u-boot-spl
rwr pc 0xfffc0000
bpadd -addr &udelay

if { [catch {con -block -timeout 3000} msg] } {
	puts "err: $msg"
	exit
	# do something to handle the error
}