Missing BMP 565RGB video support

Anatolij Gustschin agust at denx.de
Tue Sep 1 13:07:45 CEST 2020

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:44:55 +0000
Trommel, Kees (Contractor) kees.trommel.contractor at draeger.com wrote:

> Hi Agust,
>
> The latest version of the U-Boot does not support conversion from
> 24BPP BMP to a 16BPP 565RGB encoded frame buffer. It uses always
> 555RGB encoding (see function video_bmp_display in video_bmp.c).
> Older versions of the U-Boot (e.g. 2015.04) supported this because
> the platform specific device driver passed not only the BPP but
> also the encoding.

in recent U-Boot we do not use old cfb_console driver which
supported 24bpp bitmaps. The DM video console driver still
dosn't support some framebuffer/bitmap BPP combinations, or
maybe your board config file does not define CONFIG_BMP_24BPP.

> Do you know whether this lost support was done on purpose
> or lost by accident?

This is probably due to DM video conversion, not all BPP
variants have been implemented with this yet.

> I encountered this issue when trying to display a 24BPP BMP
> splash screen at an i.MX6 platform.

Did you define CONFIG_BMP_24BPP in your board config file?
If not, could you do so and test the result? Thanks.

--
Anatolij