[BUG] sandbox: './u-boot -l ' fails

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 29 15:05:29 CEST 2020

Dear Heinrich,

In message <0CBB3DF2-632B-4DAB-BD39-E2CE9F5AF513 at gmx.de> you wrote:

> >We should not invent any new names when there are existing good
> >alterntives.
> >
> >Why not use getchar()?

> please, have a look at http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch> /20200928234514.124945-1-xypron.glpk at gmx.de/
>
> Is such a #define the way to go or should we globally rename getc?

I don't think this is a good idea; I would recommend to keep the
getc() as used so far in normal U-Boot, and only "translate" it into
getchar() for the sandbox environment.

Especially messing with  include/_exports.h  is critical, as this is
used for standalone applications, which are the only allowed
exception from GPL code, so we have to assume there is some amount
of binary-only code in the field, and we should be careful not to
break this without need.  Changes here may break compatibility.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Well I don't see why I have to make one man  miserable  when  I  can
make so many men happy."              - Ellyn Mustard, about marriage