RFC: Support for U-Boot phases in Kconfig

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Aug 11 15:47:32 CEST 2021

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 06:56:31AM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 at 13:38, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > I need to take another pass at converting a bunch of symbols, to see
> > where we're at.  Probably the biggest chunk of progress next would be to
> > start converting CONFIG_SYS_xxx to SYS_xxx and moving defines out of
> > config.h and in to something else.  I'm taking a peek at some of the
> > remaining PCI ones now.
>
> How about we set a deadline for this? It has gone on for too long and
> we just need to drop these CONFIGs. It's probably a higher priority
> than a Kconfig change.
>
> I was expecting that the config.h files would go away and we would use
> Kconfig (or DT) for everything. What sort of things don't fit into
> that model?

Environment is the hard one to move out from config.h and in to, well, I
don't know what.  I think there's also a handful of symbols like
CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE that are a little tricky to convert directly (they
do math based on other symbols) rather than just as evaluate-and-set.
Right now, a little more than half of the unmigrated symbols are
CONFIG_SYS_xxx things and those likely should become SYS_xxx things.  Of
the ones that don't just go away.

--
Tom