RFC: Support for U-Boot phases in Kconfig

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Wed Aug 11 16:03:00 CEST 2021

Hi Tom,

On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 at 07:47, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 06:56:31AM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 at 13:38, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > > I need to take another pass at converting a bunch of symbols, to see
> > > where we're at.  Probably the biggest chunk of progress next would be to
> > > start converting CONFIG_SYS_xxx to SYS_xxx and moving defines out of
> > > config.h and in to something else.  I'm taking a peek at some of the
> > > remaining PCI ones now.
> >
> > How about we set a deadline for this? It has gone on for too long and
> > we just need to drop these CONFIGs. It's probably a higher priority
> > than a Kconfig change.
> >
> > I was expecting that the config.h files would go away and we would use
> > Kconfig (or DT) for everything. What sort of things don't fit into
> > that model?
>
> Environment is the hard one to move out from config.h and in to, well, I

Well you know my views on that :-)

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/1382763695-2849-4-git-send-email-sjg@chromium.org/

I still think it makes more sense than #defines and I can resurrect
that series if you like.

> don't know what.  I think there's also a handful of symbols like
> CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE that are a little tricky to convert directly (they
> do math based on other symbols) rather than just as evaluate-and-set.

We can either evaluate them and put the answer in as the defconfig
value...or perhaps ask Masahiro to support evaluation in kconfig?!

> Right now, a little more than half of the unmigrated symbols are
> CONFIG_SYS_xxx things and those likely should become SYS_xxx things.  Of
> the ones that don't just go away.

Do you mean things like this?

arch/m68k/include/asm/immap.h:#define CONFIG_SYS_PCI_BAR0
 (0x40000000)

Assuming this doesn't move to devicetree, it should be in its own asm/
or asm/arch header file I think, not in the config.h file at all.

FSL layerscape should move CONFIG_SYS_PCIE3_PHYS_SIZE et al to devcetree.

Some of the DM migrations will help - e.g. for I2C. NAND seems to have
a lot - who is the NAND maintainer?

But really what I am asking is, can we set a deadline where all
config.h files will be dropped? It has been 7 years...

Regards,
SImon