U-Boot sunxi DM_I2C migration?

Andre Przywara andre.przywara at arm.com
Thu Aug 12 23:22:07 CEST 2021

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 13:49:30 -0400
Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

Hi Tom,

> As I try and migrate more CONFIG symbols to be Kconfig only, I see that
> sunxi is still using the legacy I2C drivers.  Is there something
> specific holding up migration?  Thanks!

Do you mean a DM_I2C conversion, or just moving those base address
symbols to Kconfig? The latter is rather easy, let me know if I should
give it a shot.

For DM_I2C, it's the usual sunxi issue: we are using both: DM_I2C and
DT based probing for U-Boot proper, and hardcoded CONFIG_ symbols for
the SPL. *Some* boards need the set up the PMIC early (for increasing
the CPU frequency or setting the proper DRAM voltage), so this needs to
be done in the SPL. I don't know how to fix this "properly",
but introducing DM (and DT) into the SPL is surely not worth the
trouble. Alternatively we could have a separate, cut-down SPL-only
driver, like we have for SPI (arch/arm/mach-sunxi/spl_spi_sunxi.c),
but not sure that's really better.

If there is something in particular that annoys you about the
situation, we could try to improve this particular issue instead?
Moving the non-DM code into a separate file, maybe?

Cheers,
Andre