U-Boot sunxi DM_I2C migration?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Aug 12 23:40:34 CEST 2021

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 10:22:07PM +0100, Andre Przywara wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 13:49:30 -0400
> Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> > As I try and migrate more CONFIG symbols to be Kconfig only, I see that
> > sunxi is still using the legacy I2C drivers.  Is there something
> > specific holding up migration?  Thanks!
>
> Do you mean a DM_I2C conversion, or just moving those base address
> symbols to Kconfig? The latter is rather easy, let me know if I should
> give it a shot.
>
> For DM_I2C, it's the usual sunxi issue: we are using both: DM_I2C and
> DT based probing for U-Boot proper, and hardcoded CONFIG_ symbols for
> the SPL. *Some* boards need the set up the PMIC early (for increasing
> the CPU frequency or setting the proper DRAM voltage), so this needs to
> be done in the SPL. I don't know how to fix this "properly",
> but introducing DM (and DT) into the SPL is surely not worth the
> trouble. Alternatively we could have a separate, cut-down SPL-only
> driver, like we have for SPI (arch/arm/mach-sunxi/spl_spi_sunxi.c),
> but not sure that's really better.
>
> If there is something in particular that annoys you about the
> situation, we could try to improve this particular issue instead?
> Moving the non-DM code into a separate file, maybe?

I'm working on the symbols now (since it gets tricky).  The first
example I pulled out was Hummingbird_A31 which does have legacy I2C and
does not set DM_I2C, which is what set me down the more worrying path.
If you can confirm that no, really, it's just SPL that's not using
DM_I2C that's OK enough for now, we can sort out what the best but
probably still unideal solution is long term for SPL.

--
Tom