binman should create a list of output files

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri Aug 20 20:22:28 CEST 2021

Hi Heiko,

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 00:49, Heiko Thiery <heiko.thiery at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> During the discussion on [1] I had the idea if binman could create a
> list of all output files, so that it is possible to do a real clean in
> the u-boot makefile.
>
> Currently there are not all binaries listed in the files list and
> especially during the port of some boards to binman we had some
> trouble due to fragments of old/previous builds.
>
> What do you think?

Yes i like this. Perhaps something like:

binman ls-files output   - to list output files

We could also create a binman.filelist file in the target directory.

The interesting question is how to implement it. It might be best to
add a new method to Entry() which returns a list of output filenames.
Then we can simply call all the entries recursively to get the list,
as we do with other things today.

The other issue is temporary files, which are currently lumped into
the same output dir. One day I think we should distinguish between
output files that produce something useful and files that are just
there for debugging (e.g. the input file used for compression or
signing). The latter could go in a separate binman-working/ directory
inside the output dir, and could be removed wholesale.

Regards,
Simon