binman should create a list of output files

Heiko Thiery heiko.thiery at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 08:38:35 CEST 2021

Hi Simon,

Am Fr., 20. Aug. 2021 um 20:22 Uhr schrieb Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org>:

> Hi Heiko,
>
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 00:49, Heiko Thiery <heiko.thiery at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > During the discussion on [1] I had the idea if binman could create a
> > list of all output files, so that it is possible to do a real clean in
> > the u-boot makefile.
> >
> > Currently there are not all binaries listed in the files list and
> > especially during the port of some boards to binman we had some
> > trouble due to fragments of old/previous builds.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Yes i like this. Perhaps something like:
>
> binman ls-files output   - to list output files
>
> We could also create a binman.filelist file in the target directory.
>
> The interesting question is how to implement it. It might be best to
> add a new method to Entry() which returns a list of output filenames.
> Then we can simply call all the entries recursively to get the list,
> as we do with other things today.
>
> The other issue is temporary files, which are currently lumped into
> the same output dir. One day I think we should distinguish between
> output files that produce something useful and files that are just
> there for debugging (e.g. the input file used for compression or
> signing). The latter could go in a separate binman-working/ directory
> inside the output dir, and could be removed wholesale.

I tried to dig into the binman code. one possible point to remember
the output files could be the tools function GetOutputFilename from
patman. For this you could use a binman wrapper function that
remembers the files. But this only works if the "output_files" would
be saved when creating the image. a standalone binman option to list
the output files doesn't work then. but this way you would have an
automatic list with all (image and temporary) files.

Is it correct that the output files are created in BuildImage() and
all other (like mkimage.*.mkimage) files are only the temporary ones?

--
Heiko