using binman fails boot

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri Jul 23 05:07:43 CEST 2021

Hi Tim,

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 at 17:23, Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 7:22 PM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:

[..]

> > > But isn't blob-ext at 4 a correct name? I can't use 'blob-ext-4' as
> > > that's an unknown entry type.
> >
> > Well you can use any name and specify the type:
> >
> > my-name {
> >    type = "blob-ext";
> > };
> >

> Ok - I understand.

> > > Sure, I pushed it to
> > > https://github.com/Gateworks/uboot-venice/tree/WIP-venice-binman
> > > make imx8mm_venice_defconfig
> > > make
> >
> > OK

> > > LookupAndWriteSymbols ends up doing nothing because
> > > syms.get('__image_copy_start') returns None.
> >
> > Well that is likely the problem.

I sent a patch to make binman report this as an error.

I pushed the resulting tree to:

https://github.com/sjg20/u-boot/tree/try-tim

Now the error is:

binman: Section '/binman/u-boot-spl-ddr': Symbol
'_binman_u_boot_any_prop_image_pos'

   in entry '/binman/u-boot-spl-ddr/u-boot-spl/u-boot-spl-nodtb':
Entry 'u-boot-any' not found in list
(u-boot-spl-nodtb,u-boot-spl-dtb,u-boot-spl,blob-ext at 1,blob-ext at 2,blob-ext at 3,blob-ext at 4,main-section)

The problem seems to be that you are asking binman to generate three
independent images. U-Boot is in a FIT which is not in the same image
as SPL. So it is not possible to locate the flash offset of U-Boot
(with in the FIT).

Can you give me a bit more info about your intent here? Is it to load
U-Boot from the FIT? I so, I suppose it is possible to make binman
access an independent image, if it is told where it starts.

But why is everything not in one image?

Regards,
Simon