using binman fails boot

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Fri Jul 23 23:06:24 CEST 2021

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 8:07 PM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 at 17:23, Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 7:22 PM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
> > >

> [..]

> > > Well you can use any name and specify the type:
> > >
> > > my-name {
> > >    type = "blob-ext";
> > > };
> > >

> > Ok - I understand.

> > > OK

> > > Well that is likely the problem.
>
> I sent a patch to make binman report this as an error.
>
> I pushed the resulting tree to:
>
> https://github.com/sjg20/u-boot/tree/try-tim
>
> Now the error is:
>
> binman: Section '/binman/u-boot-spl-ddr': Symbol
> '_binman_u_boot_any_prop_image_pos'
>
>    in entry '/binman/u-boot-spl-ddr/u-boot-spl/u-boot-spl-nodtb':
> Entry 'u-boot-any' not found in list
> (u-boot-spl-nodtb,u-boot-spl-dtb,u-boot-spl,blob-ext at 1,blob-ext at 2,blob-ext at 3,blob-ext at 4,main-section)
>
> The problem seems to be that you are asking binman to generate three
> independent images. U-Boot is in a FIT which is not in the same image
> as SPL. So it is not possible to locate the flash offset of U-Boot
> (with in the FIT).
>
> Can you give me a bit more info about your intent here? Is it to load
> U-Boot from the FIT? I so, I suppose it is possible to make binman
> access an independent image, if it is told where it starts.
>
> But why is everything not in one image?

Simon,

I would rather have 1 image. I was going off of the imx8mm_evk switch
to binman which creates the separate images.

The whole point of what I'm investigating here has to do with the SPL.
OCRAM is at a premium and the current way the IMX8M is handling DDR
firmware is to tack it on after the code in the SPL image and it gets
padded to make it easy to locate which is a huge waste of space. I
figured we can use binman to locate the blobs without the padding.

So, if you take 'just' the spl image here:
        spl: u-boot-spl-ddr {
                filename = "u-boot-spl-ddr.bin";
                pad-byte = <0xff>;
                align-size = <4>;
                align = <4>;

                u-boot-spl {
                        align-end = <4>;
                };

                blob_1: blob-ext at 1 {
                        filename = "lpddr4_pmu_train_1d_imem.bin";
                        size = <0x8000>;
                };

                blob_2: blob-ext at 2 {
                        filename = "lpddr4_pmu_train_1d_dmem.bin";
                        size = <0x4000>;
                };

                blob_3: blob-ext at 3 {
                        filename = "lpddr4_pmu_train_2d_imem.bin";
                        size = <0x8000>;
                };

                blob_4: blob-ext at 4 {
                        filename = "lpddr4_pmu_train_2d_dmem.bin";
                        size = <0x4000>;
                };
        };

My intention is to remove the size arguments above which are currently
forcing wasted padding and locate the blobs at runtime with binman.

Based on your other patch it it would seem I'm missing something from
my lds to add __image_copy_start yet in
arch/arm/cpu/armv8/u-boot-spl.lds I see:
        .text : {
                . = ALIGN(8);
                *(.__image_copy_start)
                CPUDIR/start.o (.text*)
                *(.text*)
        } >.sram

My understanding of linker files is pretty slim so perhaps there's
something missing above.

Regards,

Tim