RFC: exclude partitions from efi_selftest

Michael Lawnick ml.lawnick at gmx.de
Wed Sep 15 11:56:07 CEST 2021

Am 14.09.2021 um 17:57 schrieb Heinrich Schuchardt:
> On 9/14/21 4:56 PM, Michael Lawnick wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in our environment we get error on efi_selftest if one of several SSD
>> partitions isn't properly initialized (due to some other error, but
>> that's a different topic). I tried to track down to where the partitions
>> get registered for test but got a bit lost so I request advice from you.
>
> When the UEFI sub-system is intialized we call efi_disk_register(). If
> it fails, we don't enter the UEFI sub-system.
>
> Are you able to identify where efi_disk_register() fails?

The system starts up properly.
This is what I see:
ASIM-CN10KAS> efiload $loadaddr
Loaded EFI App image at 0x40080000 with 0x216000 bytes
ASIM-CN10KAS> bootefi $loadaddr $fdtaddr
Scanning disk sdhci at 824000000000.blk...
** Unrecognized filesystem type **
** Unrecognized filesystem type **
** Unrecognized filesystem type **
Found 8 disks
Init Monotonic Count to zero

But the efi selftest fails.

>> Shouldn't be the registering of partitions for self test been made
>> dependent on successful basic init? I wouldn't qualify a non-initialized
>> partition as reason to let self test fail. If at all a warning should be
>> sufficient.
>> As far as I understand efi self test is intended more as a functional
>> regression test, not a H/W system test, isn't it?
>> What about the idea to allow to exclude partitions by environment variable?
>
> We use efi_selftest in our continuous integration. Patches that make it
> fail will not be accepted upstream. It is nothing that you need on a
> deployed production system.

Somehow I miss the connection between my question and your answer.
We want to integrate the efi_selftest into our CI, too. But if it fails
due to one uninitialized partition out of 8 then things become more
complicated than they should. Based on this I am asking why this problem
exists at all.

--
KR
Michael