RFC: exclude partitions from efi_selftest

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Tue Sep 14 17:57:17 CEST 2021

On 9/14/21 4:56 PM, Michael Lawnick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in our environment we get error on efi_selftest if one of several SSD
> partitions isn't properly initialized (due to some other error, but
> that's a different topic). I tried to track down to where the partitions
> get registered for test but got a bit lost so I request advice from you.

When the UEFI sub-system is intialized we call efi_disk_register(). If
it fails, we don't enter the UEFI sub-system.

Are you able to identify where efi_disk_register() fails?

> Shouldn't be the registering of partitions for self test been made
> dependent on successful basic init? I wouldn't qualify a non-initialized
> partition as reason to let self test fail. If at all a warning should be
> sufficient.
> As far as I understand efi self test is intended more as a functional
> regression test, not a H/W system test, isn't it?
> What about the idea to allow to exclude partitions by environment variable?

We use efi_selftest in our continuous integration. Patches that make it
fail will not be accepted upstream. It is nothing that you need on a
deployed production system.

Best regards

Heinrich