root access and u-boot-test-hooks scripts

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Apr 29 15:23:24 CEST 2022

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 03:19:00PM +0200, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 3:04 PM Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm looking for some feedback and ideas.  Today, in our
> > u-boot-test-hooks repository we have 2 cases that use sudo, imx_usb and
>
> I'm not a super expert but is it sufficient to use udev and insert the right
> on a group for a particular vendor and product id?

You can do some mount-based rules there as well, but that gets trickier
still to document / make portable.

> > L4T-based flashing.  Other places that may require root access, such as
> > mounting a filesystem instead assume an /etc/fstab entry exists and has
> > "user" as one of the attributes.
>
> If you have a docker container --previlege should not be possible to mount
> but stay in a different name space?

I honestly don't know how well all of the tooling would work
containerized, especially since we're talking about dynamically
appearing/disappearing devices (ie we run sd-mux-ctrl to tell the sd-mux
board via USB to present the SD card to us as a mass storage device,
mount it via UUID, copy things, unmount, tell the sd-mux board to
present it to the device under test now instead).

--
Tom