Running qemu tests on RISC-V

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Feb 7 17:49:31 CET 2022

On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 11:34:17AM -0500, Sean Anderson wrote:

> On 2/7/22 10:53 AM, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> > On 2/7/22 16:38, Simon Glass wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to run the SPL tests for riscv32 but it dies with an
> >> illegal instruction. I have tried building qemu 4.2 but it seems to
> >> happen on various versions. Has anyone seen this?
> >
> > Did you try to run qemu-riscv32_spl_defconfig in the Docker container we
> > are using for Gitlab?
> >
> > We are using QEMU v6.1.0 according to tools/docker/Dockerfile.
> >
> > With all that duplicate output below it is hard to understand what is
> > going. Why is each byte written twice to the serial?
>
> If I had to guess there are 2 harts, and they both trigger an illegal
> instruction. In situations like these, I have added a spinlock around puts.

It might also be worth asking why such an old QEMU?  I know my
host-provided QEMU is 4.2.1 but I just don't use it since it's too old
for everything we do, especially on something as fast moving as RISC-V.

And as an aside, if anyone has tips on changes that would need to be
made to our Dockerfile so that some of those tools that let you run app
from a container "normally" would work with our container, that'd be
handy and appreciated.

--
Tom