[BUG] sandbox: NO_SDL=1 gcc: error: arch/sandbox/cpu/sdl.o: No such file or directory

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Thu Jan 13 19:07:02 CET 2022

On 1/13/22 14:41, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Heinrich,
>
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 16:22, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.glpk at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Simon,
>>
>> compiling with SDL fails on Alpine Linux:
>> https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues/13411
>>
>> So I tried NO_SDL:
>>
>> make sandbox_defconfig NO_SDL=1
>> make menuconfig # CONFIG_ETH_SANDBOX_RAW=n
>> make -j4 NO_SDL=1
>>
>> But I got an error
>> gcc: error: arch/sandbox/cpu/sdl.o: No such file or directory
>
> Do you need mrproper first? I don't hit that problem.
>
> I see that I broke it...it needs a static inline for
> sandbox_sdl_remove_display().

I intend to set up a Dockerfile for Alpine Linux because also some other
problems arose due to musl used instead of glibc.

>> Can't we make CONFIG_SANDBOX_SDL a Kconfig symbol to get rid of the
>> command line symbol?
>>
>> We already have CONFIG_SANDBOX_VIDEO_SDL. Do we need two symbols?
>
> You mean, manually change the defconfig file? I suppose we could do
> that, but it is harder for people to do.

You never suggested to replace .config by hundreds of environment
variables ;)

No, menuconfig is the better tool. People are used to it. You don't
expect them to know of environment variables hidden somewhere in the
documentation. Saving a new defconfig is easy. Environment variables
should only be used for variable file paths like the location of OpenSBI
or TF-A.

I anyway had to use menuconfig to disable raw ethernet because it is not
POSIX compatible.

Best regards

Heinrich