u-boot and IPv6

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:21:03 CEST 2022

On Wed, 20 Jul 2022, 5:02 AM Dhananjay Phadke, <dphadke at linux.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2022, Chris Packham wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 7:40 PM Chris Packham <judge.packham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Sean and Dhananjay,
> >>
> >> Adding U-Boot ML to the Cc
> >>

> [...]
>

> >> IPv6 support is definitely something I want to get landed in upstream
> U-Boot.
> >>
> >> It seemed to be fairly well received last time I posted the series. The
> main thing lacking was tests. That's pretty much where things were at last
> time I touched it. As usual life and work commitments have stopped me from
> progressing it further.
> >>
> >> In the meantime U-Boot's testing infrastructure has improved a lot
> which should make adding the tests easier. I know there have been some more
> changes in net that will conflict but not badly.
> >>
> >> At $dayjob we have merged a newer u-boot version into our fork so I do
> have something that is effectively a post state for the merge conflict to
> refer to but it's not the broken out series that I'd like to submit.
> >>
> >> I think I should be able to get the series rebased against master (or
> the just released 2022.07 might be more useful as a base). I can probably
> get that up on github in the next couple of days.
> >
> > I've rebased my series against v2022.07 you can get the code from the
> > ipv6 branch of https://github.com/cpackham/u-boot.git
> >
> > I've only lightly compile tested it so I've no idea if it's still
> functional
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thank you for refreshing the topic and rebasing. Are you planning to post
> a v4?
> Besides tests, you had identified some gaps in previous series (DHCP,
> SLAAC, etc).
> We are looking for having IPv6 in upstream, happy to fill in what will
> help it.

I wasn't planning on sumbitting v4 until I had some reasonable test
coverage. I haven't got much time to spend on adding test right now. I will
try to spend some on it over the next few weekends.

DHCP and SLAAC would be decent follow on features from the initial support
for static addressing. I think both of these were requested when I
initially proposed IPv6 support for u-boot.

If you're keen to contribute tests or DHCP/SLAAC I'd be happy to add them
to my series.