Pull request: u-boot-imx u-boot-imx-20220726

Francesco Dolcini francesco.dolcini at toradex.com
Thu Jul 28 09:53:50 CEST 2022

Hello Tom, and all

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 06:23:05AM +0000, Josua Mayer wrote:
> This approach does work in Linux, but the maintainers there have rejected
> it for producing unnecessary errors in the boot log. For U-Boot imo this
> approach would be acceptable.

My current understanding is that U-Boot device tree are supposed to be
the same as the Linux one. They are somehow expected to get out-of-sync,
but it should be always possible to just take the Linux DTS and merge
those back in U-Boot.

This is what Marcel did, and it was really triggered by me sending a one
line patch to fix a specific DTS issue [1]. Unfortunately once you go
down the rabbit hole because of the way dts/dtsi include tree is
designed he had to update lot of boards and not just the Toradex one we
could test.

This is going into the opposite direction. What should we do?

Francesco

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210923115759.GD31748@bill-the-cat/