Pull request: u-boot-imx u-boot-imx-20220726

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Thu Jul 28 10:52:22 CEST 2022

Hi Francesco,

On 28.07.22 09:53, Francesco Dolcini wrote:
> Hello Tom, and all
>
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 06:23:05AM +0000, Josua Mayer wrote:
>> This approach does work in Linux, but the maintainers there have rejected
>> it for producing unnecessary errors in the boot log. For U-Boot imo this
>> approach would be acceptable.
>
> My current understanding is that U-Boot device tree are supposed to be
> the same as the Linux one. They are somehow expected to get out-of-sync,
> but it should be always possible to just take the Linux DTS and merge
> those back in U-Boot.

Right - else there should not be the effort to take the DTS in sync with
Linux, as much as possible.

> This is what Marcel did, and it was really triggered by me sending a one
> line patch to fix a specific DTS issue [1]. Unfortunately once you go
> down the rabbit hole because of the way dts/dtsi include tree is
> designed he had to update lot of boards and not just the Toradex one we
> could test.

I understand the reason from Linux Maintainer. I had really preferred a
way where all phys are disabled instead of "okay", and U-Boot can detect
which is really available (maybe in board code) and fix the fdt for
Linux. Is this possible ? The FEC should be on, and yes, there could be
something in board code (what the DTS are assume to remove), but DTS can
remain the same.

> This is going into the opposite direction. What should we do?

I see the same, we asked the maintainers to sync DTs with Linux and
avoid U-Boot's versions.

Regards,
Stefano

> Francesco
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210923115759.GD31748@bill-the-cat/

HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, 82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de