phy_connect_dev calling phy_reset???

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Mon Mar 7 19:13:16 CET 2022

On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 12:51 AM Michael Walle <michael at walle.cc> wrote:

> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 12:01 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if it is proper in U-Boot for phy_connect_dev() to
> >> always call phy_reset() which generates a soft reset via BMCR_RESET.
>
> FWIW, a PHY might also get a hardware reset prior to probing in
> eth_phy_pre_probe() if the device tree contains a reset gpio line.

Michael,

Yes, but the hardware reset is configurable via dt allowing me to
opt-out of a reset. In my particular case I have a GPY111 (intel-xway)
PHY which is hardware reset and configured in software prior to U-Boot
and the soft reset in U-Boot undoes this configuration requiring me to
add a driver for the PHY in U-Boot which seems silly as I wouldn't
need it if the forced soft reset was not done. I'm sure there are
other PHY's that act as mine.

I found the following patches I was looking for in regards to removing
general PHY soft reset's in Linux:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20180925182846.30042-2-f.fainelli@gmail.com/
- net: phy: Stop with excessive soft reset - Fixes: 87aa9f9c61ad
("net: phy: consolidate PHY reset in phy_init_hw()")
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20170809202156.106449339@linuxfoundation.org/
- net: phy: Do not perform software reset for Generic PHY - Fixes:
87aa9f9c61ad ("net: phy: consolidate PHY reset in phy_init_hw()")
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=87aa9f9c61ad
- 87aa9f9c61ad ("net: phy: consolidate PHY reset in phy_init_hw()")

I've added some people on Cc that were involved in those patches so
they can hopefully weigh in on their thoughts of always forcing a BMCR
reset in the bootloader.

My worry is that removing the generic PHY reset in U-Boot may cause
some issues with various PHY's that may require the soft reset forcing
existing PHY drivers to need to add an explicit call to phy_reset()
(like the Linux PHY drivers that need a reset do) or cause someone to
have to add a new PHY driver for those PHYs just to call phy_reset().

There already exists a phydev flag 'PHY_FLAG_BROKEN_RESET' that allows
PHY drivers to skip the reset indicating people have run into this
before but again that requires adding PHY drivers for PHY's just to
remove a reset that I don't feel should be there anyway. I could
submit a patch that adds a Kconfig to skip the reset much like was
done for CONFIG_PHY_RESET_DELAY which apparently was created to add a
post soft-reset delay that is only used in 2 configs (bmips_common.h
and stv0991.h). Interestingly enough the comment in
CONFIG_PHY_RESET_DELAY says it was needed for the LXT971A PHY and such
a post-delay could also be handled by moving the phy_reset into the
PHY drivers that need them.

Best regards,

Tim