Boot Loader Specification (UAPI Group)

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri Nov 18 21:50:28 CET 2022

+Tom

Hi Sebastian,

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 at 05:08, Sebastian Veit
<sebastian.veit at lucimber.com> wrote:

> Dear devs of U-Boot,
>
> I'd like to know if there's already a work in progress
> on the support of the "fairly new" Boot Loader Specification [1].
>
> Summary of the new spec: Defines a set of file formats and
> naming conventions to allow distribution independent
> boot loader menus supportable by multiple bootloaders.
>
> Don't confuse this specification with the one you've already
> implemented for syslinux [2]. It seems like the similar name
> confused people in the past [3].
>
> Maybe it'll be part of the new bootflow design - that has
> been introduced in v2022.07 [4] - some time in the future?

I don't know of any ongoing work for this. In fact I'm not sure I've
heard of UAPI.

It would be possible to implement this as a new bootmeth - see the
boot/ directory for other ones.

Migration from distro scripts is underway, with the next series likely
to be sent by the end of this month.

Regards,
Simon